Contractor Information

+ More Options

Nebraska Contractor Registration Information

Nebraska Department of Labor
Labor Standards / Contractor Registration
550 So. 16th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

Phone: (402) 471-2239
Fax: (402) 471-5039

The Nebraska Contractor Registration Act requires contractors and subcontractors doing business in Nebraska to register with the Nebraska Department of Labor.  While the registration is a requirement, it does not ensure quality of work or protect against fraud.

All contractors with one or more employees must provide a current Workers’ Compensation Certificate of Insurance (ACORD 25) with the Department of Labor listed as the certificate holder. Each contractor is responsible for making sure an updated Certificate of Insurance is on file with the Department of Labor. Any contractor whose records indicate their coverage has expired will be removed from the list of registered contractors until an updated certificate is received from the contractor's insurance agency.

The ACORD 25 certificate can be faxed to 402-471-5039, emailed to or mailed to Nebraska Department of Labor, Labor Standards, 550 S. 16th Street, Lincoln, NE 68509.

Search Registered Contractors and Subcontractors

Contractor Registration

Contractors with Unpaid Fines for ECA Violations

 Frequently Asked Questions

Construction means work or arranging for work on real property and annexations, including new work, alterations, reconstruction, installations, and repairs that may be performed at one or more different sites.

A contractor is any person or business, including subcontractors and general contractors, who engage in or arrange for work on real property other than their own property.

You are assumed to be an employee unless you own and operate your own business independently from other contractors, are a registered contractor prior to doing work, can choose what jobs you work including where, when, and how you perform the work, are free to market your services to other contractors and customers, and incur a profit and loss as a business or self-employment.

Click here to find out more on the Employee Classification Act.

All contractors doing business in Nebraska must register with the Nebraska Department of Labor. Any contractor doing business under more than one name must obtain a separate registration number for each business name.

There is a $25 annual registration fee.

A person who is self-employed (must be a sole-proprietorship or single owner LLC) and does not pay more than $3,000 annually to employ others in the business.

A contractor only engaging in the construction of water wells or installation of septic systems.

To register as a contractor for the first time, create a profile at then follow the application steps on your screen.

To renew your registration, log in to your existing profile at and click to Renew Registration.

*If the email address associated with your profile is no longer active, contact our office at 402-471-2239 or via email at for assistance prior to making a new profile or registration.

Click HERE for additional assistance on how to register.

A Registered Agent is a person or entity designated to receive official notifications, notices of lawsuits, important tax and other legal documents on behalf of a business entity. The Registered Agent must be located and available at a legal address within the specified jurisdiction at all times. If you are running your own small business, you can be your own Registered Agent. If one or more individuals are running a business together, one person is usually designated as the Registered Agent.